Wednesday, October 8, 2008

WFMW - The First Tee of Fort Worth, Texas


Thank you Shannon for hosting the Works for me Wednesday, it is always a pleasure to read and participate with all the bloggers!


The First Tee golf instruction program of Fort Worth has been a wonderful thing in my family. It truly works for us!! Not only has it improved the golf in my children but it has also forged family time, friendships, and fun into our lives.



My daughter participated in her first golf tournament for school and she made a 5th place showing after a tie for 4th was lost by score card play off. (performance for the last few holes).



This was fabulous and even her school coach credited the First Tee and told the other golfing gals that he wished they would all join! This program originally started in order to give inner-city kids with less opportunity a costly sport with little to no cost to them.

The First Tee is more than golf it is life skills and these kids have class with class!!! You see all kinds of people on the golf course old and young, male and female and you can find the 9 core values missing in their games.



My kids know the 9 Core Values and have benefited greatly from each one ~ after all who wouldn't benefit from these:

Honesty
Integrity
Responsibility
Courtesy
Confidence
Perseverance
Judgement
Sportsmanship
Respect


My precious princess shaved 33 strokes off her game from the last (& first) time she played 18 holes. She learned perseverance right off the first tee (pun intended). Her first tournaments were in the pouring rain and she finished it all the way to the end. Her confidence was shining yesterday as she finished with a score of 100 for her 2nd time out there. She used great sportsmanship, judgement, and courtesy in approaching a girl who did not appear to know how to count all her strokes. I could list each exhibited value but you see where I am headed, the First Tee and especially the The First Tee of Fort Worth has truly grown my daughter and given her goals to reach for.



My son has been in program for 2 1/2 to 3 years and beats most men that my husband brings to play. In one week he shot 2 and 3 over par more than once in North Texas Junior PGA tournaments and won the Fort Worth City Championship for his age group. For his age the only play 9 holes but that is a lot for 7-12 year olds to walk and carry their bags.



My husband has been helping as a volunteer coach and has made some new good friends and I don't have to tell you how tough that is for men. He has exercised the 9 core values with other people's children and learned a lot about golf himself by watching instructions.





I am working on a way to use this logo I have created. I can see it on shirts, totes, fanny packs, and water bottles. I just need to get to it. I am going to pull some resources together and bring Christ into the picture if only by putting this on our clothes.



See hole 19 is often referred to the club house which may have inference to drinking alcohol, so since this is mostly children, I thought I would take it a step further and offer the Living Water instead!


After all, our lives are All Fore Him anyway!
Chel

4 comments:

LISSALYNN2006 said...

wow im so proud of my niece, she is turning out to be quite a little golfer. let me know when you ket your tshirt design ready cause i sure want one well depending on the colors available maybe a couple............love you and im soproud of you as well. proud to say yea that's my sister(do i have to put the in law part)
love you always

Chel said...

Nope you don't haveta use the (in-law) part but I do love the (in-love) part that Chel made up!! It's so cute!!
I am proud of you too Lissalynn!! You are one awesome sister!!
Chel

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog! I'm glad to hear my school paper organization post helped someone. I had a lot of visits to that post but no comments until yours. I was beginning to worry that my post was either boring or completely irrelevant to anyone but me! LOL Thanks so much for commenting!

I love your logo you designed :) My sister's family is very into golf and all her children golf along with her and her husband. It's fun to watch them play and learn something ourselves of the game.

Sounds like you've found a great organization and family mission for your family! I love to see how the Lord works so uniquely in all of our lives!

Amblin

Michelle @ Sew-Krafty said...

I'm so glad you found the Land of Pink! Thank you for the sweet comment.
I'll be back when I have some time to look around ;)