Monday, October 13, 2008

Fall Into Flavor: Green Bean Casserole


A simple but alluring dish, the Green Bean Casserole, is a must on my Thanksgiving table. (side bar, isn't it funny how the leaves fall this time of year but our weight rises???? geez!)
Thank you Linda at 2nd Cup of Coffee for the beautiful button and groovy idea to share our fall favs!!! For more recipes to delight your taste buds hop on over to her blog and check it all out!
(edit.....I realized that I had thought this WAS the original recipe, no not KFC, but for the green bean cass. My aunt shared it with me before I was married 16 1/2 years ago. Later I found out that this was NOT the original.) DUH!



I decided to share this dish because my mother-in-law (I have two, long story!! LOL) loves mine. She is so funny because she can't stand green bean casserole. I use much of the same ingredients but mine is thicker or creamier or something. Ah, yes made with LOVE. AWWWW!

Ingredients:

2 Cans of Green beans (prefer french style)
1 can of cream of mushroom (I do prefer the brand on this one)
1 small can of durkee onions or 1/2 of the large can
salt
pepper
GARLIC & VELVETTA (I think these are what makes it for her)

I use a round casserole dish.

Directions:
I completely drain one can of the breans and then put the beans and the cream of mushroom into the dish and mix.


Sprinkle a little salt and pepper to taste.


Next add minced garlic or garlic powder. I don't usually measure garlic but I dust the top of the dish with the powder and then stir.

Pour in 3/4 of the can of onions and stir.


Bury about 7 small pieces of velvetta into the casserole (6 around the inner edge then one chunk in the middle.)


Cover and bake at 350 until bubbling, remove and stir, then add the rest of the onions then bake uncovered until they are browned.

Whala! You have a creamy version with an unexpected flavor (Velvetta).

4 comments:

Merrie said...

ummmm yeah! The velvetta... that makes everything better. I'll have to try that. Thanks!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh, this IS different. My fam is growing weary of the old one without Velveeta. Perhaps this is just what this tired dish needs, at least for a change. Thanks, Chel!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Yummy! I will have to try that one, but I won't tell the DH what I've done...traditional green bean cass is his FAVORITE! :-)

Maybe I could make one of each...?
Hmmmmm....

Mocha with Linda said...

A classic with a new twist! Sounds tempting!