Monday, January 25, 2010

More than a Ribbon to Me






Behind each and every ribbon you see adorning people all over the world, you discover a legacy of hurt and hope. The hurt that runs so deep even saying the words "Pink Ribbon" causes ripples in one’s soul. But a Hope so assured and secure that not even cancer can rob that woman of what makes her who she is. What is a woman you may ask? I have a little poem that may help you see just how complex we women truly are.

The Soul Behind Every Pink Ribbon

A woman is strong and mighty, some keep things neat and tidy.

A woman is meek and happy, some can be down right sappy.

A woman is afraid and filled with scars, some live their life behind bars.

A woman is peace and bliss, some, if you blink, you will surely miss.

A woman is quiet and mute, some, if you listen close, are quite a hoot.

A woman is bold and forceful, but sweet enough to grasp every morsel.

A woman is careful and glad, when faced with cancer she can sure spell M.A.D.

A woman is fun and full of love, some are as delicate as a dove.

A woman is here and then she is gone, some wear the pink ribbon so her memory can live on!

A woman lives, laughs, and loves, she proudly wears her ribbon to show what she has risen above!

Rachele Posey 1-25-2010



I don’t know why but lately I have really missed my mom more than ever. I think it is because I am 37. A month shy of 37, she died in 1983 of breast cancer at the tender age of 36. Her birthday would have been joyfully celebrated on September 22. She was every bit of what I shared in my poem, although I rarely saw her mad. She may have called herself mad-as-a-hatter a time or two but that is because she knew what really mattered. I think it is the ones, like her, who can laugh in the face of danger that truly live (thank you Disney’s Lion King). My friend’s mom is another; she told me the other day she could laugh or cry and she chose to laugh. Whether you laugh or cry you are more than a ribbon to me!


…more tomorrow!

Much love and prayers,

7 comments:

Diana Ferguson said...

Thanks for picking up my Texas button!

Diana Ferguson said...

Chel,

Sorry I forgot to tell you that I'm also glad you hopped over to my personal blog, too!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about losing your mom, and especially for both of you to be so young. I know that no matter how many years pass the feelings can still surface at very unexpected times. I lost my dad 5 years ago so I know how you feel.

Cathy said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your mom.

My sister is a breast cancer survivor of 16 or 17 years. Thank you Lord!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Love that poem, girl.

I know this must be very hard for you to write about, but it's one of those healing things that God can and will use.

Love you, sister.

Mary DeMuth said...

Grief is a hard thing. May the Lord continue to heal all the layers....

Edie said...

God is taking through a journey that will bring much healing. It's a hard place to be except that He is right there with you.

I lost my dad in 1985 and I am now almost his age when he died. I think that in itself stirs up our thoughts and emotions a bit.

Thanks for being so transparent here and sharing this. I just prayed for you.

Rich blessings to you!