Monday, August 25, 2008

John 3:16, "Who Do You See?"

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16).

I do love this word from the Lord so intensely. Not only did he rescue me from the clutches of death but He also welcomed me after I thought I could do this all on my own. When I, in my rebellion, thought I could ignore His voice - Oh praise be to HIM that He did not leave me to my own devices - but by ignoring His voice I had actually said, "Oh but Lord it is best to learn from experience...and how do I know things are good or bad for me unless I try it."

What ignorance! But thank the LORD, Oh What a Savior!

He astonishes me. This love (agapao) beyond all understanding and without limits is expressed to someone like me, sinful, broken, putrid, and hideous. Yet He loved me and all of us so much that He committed His one and only son to be our sacrifice, bestowing Jesus to us.

I looked up a lot of the words found in John 3:16 in Greek via Strongs, and interpreted this summary:

"Indeed, God loved His creation beyond compare in such a way insomuch He supplied His one and only son in order that each and everyone would put full confidence into Him so they will not be destroyed or rendered useless instead giving the exception to the possession of a full active vigorous life wholly devoted to God without end. "

I don't know about you but that blew me away! Our need, His supply so we will not be useless!!!!

How can we have the full active life without end if we do not first put our trust in HIM?

All because He first loved us! I am speechless and breathless.


It reminded me of a poem I wrote in 2003 titled:

Who Do You See
O' woman who do you see, for when you look in the mirror you do not see thee!
You view through a filter, a perfecting lens, you are far too blind to see your own sins!
Do you not know that sin will cause your heart to break?
And it will be the very heart of Christ you will forsake.
By driving a wedge in your life you will be destroyed from within,
You must now relinquish yourself so that Christ may come in.
By going on your own way you will not be useful,
While still denying His gifts with your refusal.
For the life you are living is the very life that God ordained
Now may the life you live Reflect His Holy Name!


Chel - An Abiding Branch
I love this tool that I used to find the Greek meanings http://bible.lifeway.com. Click on the KJV with Strong's then click on the words allowable to view the original meanings.

4 comments:

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

I do LOVE your translation..."so that we will not be rendered useless." Oh, Lord, let it be!!

Rick said...

I like the name of your blog. It brings to mind some interesting visual images.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Thanks, Chel. I enjoy tha tool, also. Sometimes reading a familiar passage in a new way brings it to life again. I like the phrase that Chel pointed out above, too.

Shonda said...

HIS love is amazing! The poem is great. I'm so glad I read this. It is great to know that we have a purpose and not useless. Blessings!

Engrafted by HIS Grace-
Shonda