Sunday, August 17, 2008

Faith: The Cure for a Skeptical Heart

Can’t get something for nothing…What do ‘they’ want?...If it is too good to be true then it probably is…


Pop culture will tell us to look out for ourselves and be watchful so we will not be taken advantage of, but faith tells us to have faith in Jesus and He has the rest of it covered. Hmm, this thought has crossed my mind a time or two. I saw skepticism in action this weekend and it breaks my heart. So many people have been taken advantage of all around us and so many more are hurting. They were very skeptical over our motive in being there.


Our church launched an outreach ministry and our first thing was to reach out to the new apartment complex directly across the street. Not that they are so desperate they need our help but that the church had lost focus of what the church is called to do. The local church has lost sight of the word local. Well, we have lost sight of many words.

Don't get me wrong, our church is involved in many ways within the community, when I speak of what is lost by churches today it is generally speaking. Many churches are on the right track and many are still looking for the grooves to get on the track and stay there. What I feel is that the heart of the church itself is more into hands off service and very little hands on...building relationships and reaching others for Christ by simply being available...

Now, I know it is mostly pride that fuels skeptical heart but still to see people not take the help they may truly need because they are afraid of what it may cost them (because nothing is ever really free right?). Our church had free food and some personal items to offer as well as school supplies for the kiddos. We could all use a little help right now with this economy. The event was success. And I praise the Lord that He allowed us to do this and supplied all our needs - boy is HE able! I just feel this weight on my heart and it is heavy today because of the people who simply sat on their balconies wondering what on earth we were all doing. (Little do they know it has nothing to do with earth!)


I watched them as they watched us. I prayed silently that the Spirit would compel them to come and meet us, we are not what they think we are. I saw members show up that I have never seen help at an event. Truly the Spirit of the Father was there! I watched as a mother and her son joined our fellowship today; they live there across the street! I have watched as the LORD has planted a couple in the apartments who are called to HIS purpose and name's sake. He has placed them in the middle of a community. God is moving without us and inspite of us. Ok, so where can I join in with what God is doing?


We, as the church, are part of that community even if we live 20 miles always. It does concern us and should for each one who sat on their balcony and waited to see what we wanted. There are people everywhere who have been hurt by others, by churches, by neighbors, and these once innocent and welcoming words are now a source of fear and fueling their skepticism.



What is skepticism after all? It is a developed mechanism in order to protect oneself from possible harm. Another word for skepticism is uncertainty (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/skepticism).



Well I don’t know about you but it sounds to me that faith is the cure according to Hebrews 11:1, “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” WOW!


They only thing that we, as believers, can do is create an avenue where faith can be as contagious as skepticism has been. Do the things for others we wish would be done for us especially when it isn't. Destroy skepticism by being something other than they expected in order to confirm their fears. Be Jesus to them!


If you are interested I have another blog as well that I am going to start placing some poetry and other types of stuff. http://www.racheleposey.blogspot.com/.

1 comment:

marine's words said...

The church has change a lot since I first came to the lord at the begaining it was all about salvation now the message is the same but I feel like alot of church's have sugar caoated there messages today so that they won't
scare people away if the "preach to hard they might scare them I have seen the chruch go through so many different changes. marina