Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Oh, the way rain smells


It is a terribly funny statement to me and has been since I was little, "Oh, I love the way the rain smells."


Even in the beginnings of a concrete jungle at an early age, I knew it was wet concrete or mud in the making I was smelling, but isn't it funny how those things sound so unappealing yet we say, "Oh, I love the way rain smells." A little bit like trials and tribulations, when allowing God to work it out, it smells better when done.

Tonight, I said it and boy does it smell good! It has rained! We have endured 100+ temperatures for days upon days. Yesterday after 5:00 PM it was still 105 then about 10 minutes later it went UP...106 degrees Fahrenheit at 5:xx PM! I could not believe it and I took a picture of my temperature gauge and sent the text to Chel's Leaving a Legacy.


Tonight we sit here working on our computers and I just finished my college assignments, then the satellite went out. Boy, were we perplexed, then my little Princess jumped up and said, "WOW! It's raining!" A post just came across her myspace and sure enough the beautiful sound of rain was upon my roof. It does not usually simply rain here the storms are ferocious and damage always remains in the form of fallen trees and branches. See, in the Christian world there a lot of fallen branches because they play so close to the storms and the heat. We need the presence of the Holy Spirit and every inch of HIS reign in order to endure and stay attached to the VINE.
~BTW I love the sound more than the smell. But today the smell hit me in such a way that my mind began to be flooded (no pun intended) with refreshing thoughts. ~

This intense heat has taken the lives of innocent children by way of neglect or otherwise; the air is a sauna and the ground a griddle. I even had acquired burns on the soles of my feet while camping at a local state park. We were lakeside and I walked from my lounge chair to the water and was in tears by the time I reached the waters edge. It is ever loving hot here...glad I am insured!!! lol and Praise Jesus!! {No matter the heat in our lives God's reign brings refreshing to us.}

I did truly say all that for a reason and I have arrived, I sure hope you are still there!!!

The rain creates mental imagery for me instead of the physical scent of the effects of rain. I am reminded of fresh starts, revival of the parched, and a sense of newness. Much like what Jesus gave us when He washed us with His blood. We adore the smell of rain even though it is mere wet concrete/pavement/ and mud we are smelling, because it reminds us of how things are revived or made clean.
Tonight I feel revived. I receive a 100 on my second exam in class and have begun to plan my approach with my new job. Our ministry, WOVEN, has taken some sharp but worthwhile turns albeit scenic routes. And God, in HIS reign, has provided confirmation and a revival in me through several channels, namely a Christian writers conference in Plano.
We received no remnants from the hurricane that dissipated earlier this week and then finally today it rained. I just knew it would rain and come to find out princess, who has always been my weather channel, announced that it would rain today. IT DID, IT DID, IT REALLY REALLY DID!!!


Oh, how I praise God for HIS reign and I am so grateful for the rain my little town has received this late night. I pray that you will sniff out the rain around you and feel the revival that the fresh clear new beginnings offer for you deep within.
even though my little pieces is at camp without me...but that is another story...

1 comment:

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Oh I love the play on words...rain and reign.

I love the smell of reign.

And rain.

;-)