Thursday, April 15, 2010

My First Flashback Friday!




I love Mocha drinks! Don't you? Well since I adore Mocha - usually skinny mocha's when I'm trying to be good -  I thought I would join in this week for Flashback Friday @ Mocha with Linda!!! But her Mocha is far more rich and much less fattening to the body - but boy oh boy does it nourish the soul!!! (And help with memory loss on Fridays!!)

Join our favorite foo-foo drink, Mocha Linda and her Flashback Friday - share your memories, maybe even embarrass yourself, but definitely join in on the fun!!!

Linda asks, "If you have a child in your life, your calendar for April and May is probably quickly filling up with end-of-year activities - performances, recitals, etc. Did you take lessons as a child? Piano or another instrument? Gymnastics or dance? Other types of lessons? Were they weekly? How much were you required to practice between lessons? Did you participate in recitals? If so, do any of them stand out in your memory? Did they foster a love or a hate for that activity? Did you want to take lessons in a certain thing that you never got to? And if you have kids now, how did your experiences with taking lessons like these impact the activities you had/have them do?"

As a child I took twirling lessons! I had my baton up until I was 20 and it disappeared in transit from my aunt's house to my new one with my hubby.:( But it was a lot of fun! Me in my pink leotard with sequence and my Dorothy Hamil hair cut! I learned the famous newby twirls like "Lick the Icecream Cone" "Crazy 8's" and how to toss it a little in the air. I only remember one recital and I was nervous!! I think secretly I have always been able to dance but just too embarrassed to do it in front of others.

I liked twirling at Eisenhower's School of Twirling in Corpus Christi, TX, but I also played Laguna Little Miss Kickball! I was on the Meadowlarks and I did not see that they still had a team....guess we broke the mold!!! L-O-L!!!

Well, I could not continue to play both so, I was presented with a choice to twirl or to kick.... I  chose kickball. I had fun, lots of fun, but I do wish I had picked twirling because it would have added more to me. I was not, am not, and will never be athletic. I am competitive but not athletic. As a matter of fact my competitions consisted of the Texas Bluebonnet Reading Awards!!! I still have my certificates some where!! lol 

Anywho, because of making, what I believe to be, The Wrong Choice, it did affect the way I handle it with my kids. First of all, we always finish what we start at least for the season. Secondly, they do get to choose but I lay out all the details to make sure they look ahead and not just to "today" and how they "feel" today.

My daughter has asked me why I did not make her continue ballet, and I had to tell her she was convinced she was a "tomboy". She has the strength, courage, and endurance of one but she is girly through and through. I always knew it and around 14 she figured it out too. "Mama, always knows." She played softball for years and we tried to talk her into golf....she started playing a year and half ago and she is getting really good! Now she asks us why we did not force her to play golf then....she would hate it now like softball. The child has more athletic talent in her little pinky than I do in my whole body!! She was a cheerleader for 3 years, played volleyball for 4, and then at 16 she gave all of it up for GOLF! Go figure.... Now on Monday and Tuesday she will be in San Angelo at REGIONALS!!!!!!!! 

My son has played football, t-ball, baseball, and golf. He was going to play basketball but cut his toe through the bone on 12/31/2003, he had just turned 5. He jumped off a piano bench backwards and it cut right through!!! He is fine but never played basketball. He has golfed since he was 6, but his love for it began the minute he knew how to work the remote. He was mesmorized by the golf channel. Most kids find their way to Disney or cartoon channels - he found the Golf Channel. This is not a joke! The kid at 2 1/2 was watching golf intently and that was the only channel he knew how to find. I don't know how he found it; perhaps golf found him!

Post your answers on your blog, then come go to Linda's blog and link up then visit other participating bloggers!

This was a blast - fun and from the past!!!
Abiding Still,
Chel

7 comments:

David said...

I like these three points and these are very important enough.
1) Keep my head still
2) Follow through with my swing after contact with the ball
3) Close the club face as it strikes the ball ...
Golf cart Calgary

Just Be Real said...

Sweet post Abiding. I see you are a follower of Beth Moore, amen! Blessings to you and yours this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your stories of yourself and the kids. I guess we all have similar stories; it's generational. It will be interesting to see how your kids will be with your grandchildren some day.

Linda said...

Hi Chel,
Just found your blog and have s enjoyed my visit! Your blog is beautiful!I look foward to following you.
Please visit my blog when youahve time:
Days Touched By Grace.
Blessings.

Mocha with Linda said...

I'm so glad you joined the flashback fun! Thanks for your kind words about my blog.

Baton twirling has always fascinated me.

Barbara said...

Morning, I am about a "few days" late, but I am here to say hello and tell you I enjoyed your story of you as a child and your child.

Come and visit me.

Barbara

Skoots1moM said...

from one baton twirler to another :)