Monday, June 1, 2009

Real Life Alfred Hitchcock Experience



I have lived through a Hitchcock experience!! I was so scared for my life....a bird tried to attack me, not once, not twice, but three times so far!! I may have nightmares!!!

My experience was not quite like the movie , The Birds, because these protected and protective Mockingbirds had a reason for their behavior: they feared for their young. This made me think of times when I have protected my children and the many times that God has protected His (you and me). Have you ever guarded your young in this way? I know I have and boy does it put on a display!!! Have you also noticed that when your children are threatened you give no care to the size of the adversary?








(He saw me!!)







Mockingbirds have made and filled a nest in my holly bush with two precious baby birds. They are very protective birds!!! Guarding their young with no fear of their adversaries is what they do until the young leave their nest. These birds have attacked me, my daughter, the neighbor's cat, and countless other birds in my yard. The funniest thing was the poor white cat laying as flat as possible in the grass with the bird violently swooping down upon his head. That was a sight for sure! Our God fears not what this world throws our way and definitely does not cower down in the grass fearing for His life.







Here is one of the two birds guarding over the nest and keeping watch over the area for signs of danger. This bird was on high alert and let me know it verbally as well. Isn't this exactly how we are with our children? Remember the days of sitting at the playground and watching over every possible exit or entry way for danger? And weren't you ready to swoop down upon the head of those from whom you sensed a threat? I wonder if people shudder with fear at the sight of us? Ha! Not likely. But there is One parent that others should fear with trembling and shaking, The Lord God Almighty, Our Father!

The Mockingbirds took turns watching over the nest. One would call and another would show up all fluffy and "big" looking to protect the nest. God watches over us in this way as well; He sends His angels concerning us (Psalm 91). Throughout Psalms we see the Unfailing Love and Protection for our lives and souls.




So the next time you fear that Mockingbird swooping down upon your head and you hear the chirping of the little ones in the nest, remember the protection of the Lord. He is watching over you and will be protecting you eternally if you trust and call His Name! Psalm 91:14, "Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him for he acknowledges My Name."

Chel

1 comment:

Sue said...

Great analogy Chel! I am totally freaked out by birds flying around me so I can only imagine what that was like but I love how you saw God's lesson in the midst of the "attack" ;-) Thanks for sharing!